Wine Pairing with Classic Halloween Candies
It’s almost Halloween! It’s time to break out the candy corn, gummy worms, mini Kit Kats and all the other treats we love. While we try to convince ourselves that only kids enjoy candy on Halloween, we can’t really get away from the fact that adults indulge too. So, don’t fight it. Just make it an adult dining experience by pairing your treats with wine. That way, it’s not even an indulgence. It’s a culinary adventure!
Here are some classic Halloween candies, with wine pairing recommendations:
- Candy Corn is one of those Halloween treats that incites extreme reaction. You either love candy corn, or you despise it. There is no middle ground. This (fortunately) is not the case with wine pairing. There are a few whites that would go well with this traditional treat. Try a big, buttery Chardonnay, Viognier, Riesling or Gewürztraminer while gobbling these goodies.
- Gummy Worms make your palates pucker in a delicious way. You can try Pinot Noir or Malbec with these sugar-encrusted treats.
- Skittles and Starburst both pair well with the bubbles and freshness of Moscato or Prosecco.
- Caramel Apple for those who want to feel as if they are being healthy, while still indulging in a delicious treat, the caramel apple is the way to go. There are also several wines which pair well with this treat-on-a-stick. These include: Muscat, Gewürztraminer, Sauvignon Blanc, Sauternes, or Pinot Gris.
- Red Licorice or Red Vines pair perfectly with Pinot Noir.
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Peanut M&M’s go well with Port or Sherry.
- Hershey’s Chocolate Bars, Kit Kats, and Milky Way Bars in those classic, individual sizes or in the lustworthy, family size can be paired with a jammy Zinfandel or Pinot Noir – or with a Merlot.
Feel like snacking on something a little more healthy? Never fear! You can still pair your roasted pumpkin seeds with Pinot Gris or Sauvignon Vert
Here’s to you and your Halloween wine pairing adventure! Let us know in the comments below if you find any other fun wine and candy pairings.