While there are always great perks to spending your vacations in busy metropolitan areas, there’s something magical about planning a trip to a charming small town—and downtown McMinnville, Oregon, is one of those fantastic destinations. Often listed in major publications as one of the best small towns to explore in Oregon, downtown McMinnville exudes a sense of history and community. This area was founded in the late 1800s and has always been an agricultural hub—so it’s no wonder viticulture took off as a significant industry that began in the 1970s.
Wine tasting might be the most popular activity in the Willamette Valley, but there’s a long list of things to do in downtown McMinnville related to the arts, music, culinary, and fantastic local businesses to support. Visitors can tour the historic streets, head to Linfield University, founded in 1858, and explore Third Street, a popular shopping and entertainment district. McMinnville, Oregon, is also home to one of the largest museums dedicated to aviation and space memorabilia; the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum is a perfect outing for history buffs.
Before you start filling your itinerary with all the best things to do in downtown McMinnville, Oregon, you’ll want to book your lodging. One of the best places to stay in the Willamette Valley is Youngberg Hill Inn & Winery. Located just ten minutes from downtown, you’ll be set in the vineyards with a comfortable guest suite overlooking the vines from our hilltop estate. Our space is tailored for couples looking to reconnect for a romantic getaway, friends traveling together, and celebrations and anniversaries. Check our upcoming availability and book your room today!
Head to Downtown McMinnville, Oregon During Your Stay
Once you’ve checked in to our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be ready to explore downtown McMinnville, Oregon. The fall is a beautiful time as the leaves change from greens to autumnal hues, and the Willamette Valley is known for hosting fun harvest events and wine tastings.
Here are the best things to discover in downtown McMinnville, Oregon, this fall:
- Explore Third Street: One of the biggest draws to Downtown McMinnville is the tree-lined Third Street, a hub of activity with tasting rooms, cafes, and boutiques. Stroll down this cultural avenue and get a lay of the land.
- Downtown McMinnville Tasting Rooms: There’s a lovely selection of local Willamette Valley wineries with tasting rooms in the downtown area, many of which are within walking distance from one another. Planning on hitting a few is one of the best things to do! Don’t miss the stalwart Eyrie Vineyards, the elegant Brittan Vineyards, and the welcoming R. Stuart & Co.
- Craft Breweries & Bars: Beer and distilling are two popular industries in Oregon, so it’s no surprise that McMinnville has attracted a talented group of craft beverage makers. Add a stop to Golden Valley Brewery, Bierly Brewing, and The Bitter Monk for beer lovers. If you prefer a craft cocktail, hit the Conservatory Bar or The Oak.
- McMinnville Restaurants: Due to the amazing agriculture grown in the Willamette Valley, the menus at the restaurants in downtown McMinnville, Oregon, shine with local produce and proteins. A recent addition is Okta, from a Michlin Star chef, Matthew Lightner. They source ingredients from their very own farm and impress diners with elegant preparations.
- Art Galleries & Museums: Along Third Street, you’ll find a great selection of art galleries filled with local pieces and collections. The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum is always a fun outing as well!
- Tour the Linfield University Campus: This historic university has classic architecture and beautiful old trees ideal for a lovely autumn stroll. They often host events, art shows, and performances open to the public, so look into these happenings before you go.
- Strolls at the Local Parks: McMinnville has a nice collection of small parks and green spaces for walks, picnics, and taking a break from wine tasting. Joe Dancer Park and City Park are great spots for a relaxing afternoon in the crisp fall air.
As a guest at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, be sure to take advantage of our concierge service; we’re more than happy to make reservations and offer personalized recommendations for the best things to do in downtown McMinnville and beyond.
The Best Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast for Fall Getaways
Now that you know all the best things to do in downtown McMinnville, Oregon, you’ll want to secure your lodging. There’s nowhere better to stay than our romantic Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast! Our Inn is set back from the busy tourist areas on our hilltop 50-acre estate overlooking the vines. The view is unforgettable and panoramic of the valley below. There’s often an audible gasp from our guests as they see this striking vista for the first time!
Inside our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, you’ll relish in the calming and quiet atmosphere. With only nine impeccable guest rooms, you’ll never encounter unwanted noise or crowds. Your private suite will be your oasis of relaxation, with big comfortable beds, pristine en suite baths, and lovely cozy seating areas with gas or electric fireplaces. Each morning, by request, we’ll provide a gourmet breakfast each morning for a small fee.
As a guest at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, you’ll receive a complimentary wine tasting of our Youngberg Hill wines, as well as generous discounts on the specialty tastings of our reserve label, Bailey Family Wines. Our proximity to other Willamette Valley wineries is ideal for those looking to experience the beautiful varietals of Oregon wine country. We can’t wait to host you; book your room today!