You don’t have to be a history buff to appreciate the impressive exhibits at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville. The sheer scale of these aircraft in the giant hangar is just one of the major draws of this world-class air, space, and military memorabilia collection. In fact, the Evergreen Aviation Museum holds the number one spot on TripAdvisor of all the things to do in this charming city in the Willamette Valley.
The Evergreen Aviation Museum was founded in 1991 and began with a modest collection of vintage aircraft. Today, the museum has more than 50 civilian and military aircraft, drones, and spacecraft. The complex is made up of four expansive buildings. The most popular exhibit is a Hughes H-4 Hercules, also known as the Spruce Goose, a prototype for an airlift flying boat.
While visiting the museum is the perfect rainy-day activity, there are plenty of other things to do in McMinnville! From wine tastings and farm-to-table dining to great shopping and outdoor recreation, there are more than enough adventures to fill a long weekend or an extended vacation to the heart of Oregon Wine Country. First, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast is a unique and central place to stay. Our nine guest rooms are all beautifully appointed with lovely en suite bathrooms and high-end amenities. We can’t wait to host you; book your room today!
Explore the Evergreen Aviation Museum & More
While the weather generally stays pretty mild in the Willamette Valley in the winter, there will be some chilly, rainy days, and the Evergreen Aviation Museum is the perfect activity. Here’s what to expect on a tour at the air museum and possible things to do in McMinnville before or after!
- The most talked about exhibit at the Evergreen Aviation Museum is the Spruce Goose, a massive prototype aircraft boat and the largest craft ever made from birch wood. The history of this famed aircraft is detailed in the exhibit. Be sure to add on the cockpit tour, where you can enter the cargo hold and see where Howard Hughes once sat on the quick 30-second flight.
- There are a few other must-sees at the museum, including the SR-71 Blackbird, one of the world’s fastest jets; the F-117 Nighthawk, the first operational stealth aircraft; and the Titan II, a craft from an early NASA program.
- The Evergreen Giant Screen Theater is a fantastic stop during your visit. You’ll catch 3D short films and first run “feature films” on exciting topics and history.
- Pop by the Avaitor Cafe for a coffee or a snack during your visit!
- The Evergreen Aviation Museum is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm—head here to purchase tickets in advance.
Other Things to Do in McMinnville After the Museum:
After you’ve taken in the impressive aircraft and exhibits at the Evergreen Aviation Museum, you’ll want to head to downtown McMinnville to explore. There’s a great selection of downtown Willamette Valley tasting rooms, cafes, restaurants, and boutiques.
- As a guest at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, you’ll want to make time for wine tasting at our Youngberg Hill tasting room, but while you’re downtown, be sure to pop by Brittan Vineyards, R. Stuart & Co, Goodfellow Family Cellars, and Eyrie Vineyards.
- Head to Golden Valley Brewing for a hearty lunch and craft beer. The downtown location has been serving visitors and locals for many years. We also have Golden Valley brews for beer drinkers at our B&B.
- The historic and charming Third Street is the most popular shopping place in downtown McMinnville. You’ll want to plan a stroll up and down this tree-lined thoroughfare.
Elegant Lodging at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast
Visiting the Evergreen Aviation Museum will be a highlight of your time in McMinnville. Still, nothing compares to the luxury and ambiance of staying at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast. There’s plenty to explore in our area, but with your beautifully appointed guest room as your home base, you may want to spend a lot of time curled up in your cozy suite.
The Pommard Suite, pictured above, is one of our premium rooms with stunning views of our Willamette Valley vineyard below. This second-floor room has a plush queen-sized bed, an elegant seating area with an electric fireplace, and a pristine en suite bathroom with a double shower. Just like all of our rooms, you’ll have high-end amenities, including cozy robes, lush towels, toiletries, and our 24/7 concierge service.
For those who enjoy breakfast first thing in the morning, we have an add-on option for a homemade morning meal. We use only the freshest and most seasonal ingredients in our gourmet recipes. It’s a perfect way to start your day, especially if you want to unwind at the Inn. Our on-site tasting room is just steps away from your lodging, so be sure to pop in at least once for a wine tasting of our Youngberg Hill and sister label, Bailey Family Wines. Book your room today!