The wintertime in the Willamette Valley is often called “Cellar Season” as the vines rest and the rain hydrates the soil for next year’s growth. There are still so many wonderful things to do in McMinnville during the slower season, even if the vineyards aren’t bursting with ripe grapes and activity. As always, you’ll have your pick of award-winning wineries and spectacular restaurants to choose from, as well as plenty of outdoor recreation, museums, and shopping opportunities.
There is so much to explore in McMinnville and beyond in the Willamette Valley that it’s best to plan more than just a day trip. For those on the hunt for lodging options, Youngberg Hill Inn and winery is the ultimate choice. Not only will you have one of the most breathtaking views of the valley from the windows of your private guest suite, but you’ll be steps away from our on-site tasting room, where we often hold exciting events and offer informative and delicious wine tastings. Overnight guests receive discount pricing!
The Best Things to do in McMinnville this Winter
After you’ve settled into your guest suite at our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast, you’ll be refreshed and ready to expel all the nearby things to do in McMinnville. The downtown area boasts a beautiful, tree-lined Main Street for shopping and dining, a handful of parks to explore, and lots of wine to be tasted.
Here are the top ten things to do in McMinnville this winter:
- Hit the Downtown McMinnville Tasting Rooms: One of the best things to do in McMinnville is check out the wineries offering downtown tasting rooms; it’s an easy way to hit a few in one go! A few of our favorites on Third Street are Willamette Valley Vineyards, R. Stuart and Co, Troon Vineyard, and Brittan Vineyards.
- Shopping on Third Street: After you’ve tasted some fantastic local Pinots, it’s a great time to visit the local boutiques and businesses. You’ll find everything from apparel and home goods to gifts and books.
- Search for Oregon Sparkling Wine Flights: If you’re in the mood for some bubbles, the area’s winemakers are producing some lovely Willamette Valley sparkling wines. Read more here on our recent blog.
- Unique Olive Oil Tasting: While wine tasting might be the first thing that comes to mind in wine country, you’ll want to head to Third Street Oil and Vinegar to try the rainbow of flavors.
- Outdoor Recreation: One of the most popular things to do in McMinnville is head outdoors no matter the time of year. Downtown offers several city parks with walking trails accessible for all skill levels. You’ll also find plenty of state parks and wildlife areas nearby, including McNary Wildlife Center for a quiet stroll and birdwatching.
- The Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum: Holding the top spot on TripAdvisor for the best things to do in McMinnville, this flight museum is dedicated to preserving the history of aviation and space exploration.
- Grab a Show at the Gallery Theater: If you want a cozy night inside, head to one of these local productions. The upcoming 2023 season includes Into the Woods, Pride & Prejudice, and Anne of Green Gables.
- Dine out at the Culinary Gems: The northwest is known for its abundance of produce and local products. Thankfully, our resident chefs are constantly creating the most exciting farm-to-table menus. A few favorites are the Joel Palmer House, Bistro Maison, and La Rambla.
- Head to the Local Art Galleries: Downtown McMinnville is an artist’s community, and you’ll find a charming selection of art galleries displaying contemporary works and classic pieces.
- Wine Tasting at Youngberg Hill: After you’ve explored the downtown options, one of the best things to do in McMinnville is head back to our Inn for a wine tasting at our bio-dynamic farm and winery. It’s the best way to end a day before you head up to your cozy guest suite.
Cozy up at our Elegant Bed and Breakfast near McMinnville
As one of the best places to stay in the McMinnville area, our Willamette Valley Bed and Breakfast is luxury at its finest. With nearly 500 five-star reviews on TripAdvisor, you’ll have plenty of glowing recommendations to sift through. Here’s a recent review from one of our happy guests:
“Beautiful property! We stayed in the Martini Suite (pictured above) for a few days while visiting the Oregon wine country for our anniversary. Tons of space with a separate sitting room, huge bathroom, and gorgeous views to watch the sunrise from your balcony, snuggled in blankets provided. Breakfast was delicious, and the staff was very accommodating. We checked out early before breakfast and Becky prepared us some homemade muffins and a little to-go box. The extra touches were special!” –December 7th, 2022
Join us in the stunning Willamette Valley this winter to experience all of the best things to do in McMinnville. Book today!